Cranberry Orange Chocolate Biscotti
The credit for these delicious biscotti cookies belongs entirely to my mother, who has been baking them – much to the delight of my entire family! – for years now.
They are chocked full of dried cranberries, chocolate morsels and the heavenly flavor of dried orange peel and extract. They are not to be mistaken for traditional crunchy Italian biscotti, however, as their consistency is meant to be soft and chewy like a cookie.
Fair warning: once you’ve started eating these, it is nearly impossible to stop!
CRANBERRY ORANGE CHOCOLATE BISCOTTI
Makes: 2 to 3 dozen
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp dried orange peel
2 tsp pure orange extract
1 cup finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate
1 cup chopped dried cranberries
1 cup chopped walnuts
1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and orange peel. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk sugar and butter until creamy and fluffy. Add eggs and orange extract; whisk. Add flour mixture 1 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition.
3. Add chopped chocolate, cranberries and walnuts. Stir to fully incorporate all ingredients. Refrigerate dough overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with aluminum foil; set aside.
5. Form dough into two 12- by 1 1/2-inch logs. Transfer to prepared baking sheets and bake 25 minutes. Remove from oven, reduce temperature to 325 degrees, and cool on baking sheet for 5 to 8 minutes.
6. Slice diagonally at 1-inch intervals and bake for 15 additional minutes. Biscotti should be soft and chewy, not crisp. Cool on a wire rack and store in an air-tight container.