Sweet Wine Poached Peaches with Mint + Mascarpone-Yogurt Cream
This dessert is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! I had no idea what it was going to taste like when I decided to give this recipe a try forthe first time today, but all I can say is… WOW! Fresh peaches, sweet, orange-infused wine syrup, fragrant mint and creamy mascarpone – how could you possibly go wrong??
I wish I had made more than a single serving, because I am already craving seconds!! Run to the grocery store, buy the ingredients, and get to cooking ASAP … I guarantee you will not regret it!
SWEET WINE POACHED PEACHES WITH MINT + MASCARPONE-YOGURT CREAM
4 just-ripe yellow-fleshed slipstone peaches
2 cups sweet white wine
3 tbsp freshly grated orange zest
1 1/4 cup white sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 vanilla bean, split + seeds removed
1/4 cup mascarpone
1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
8 fresh mint leaves, to serve
1. Using the tip of a sharp knife, cut a small cross in the base of each peach. Immerse the peaches in boiling water for 30 seconds, then drain and cool slightly. Peel off skin, cut peaches in half and carefully remove the stones (without tearing flesh).
2. Place a large deep-sided frying pan over medium-high heat. Add wine, orange zest, sugar, cinnamon stick and vanilla bean to pan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently, until sugar dissolves.
3. Reduce heat to a simmer for 5 minutes. Add peaches to pan and simmer for an additional 4 minutes, turning them over halfway through. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
4. Continue to simmer syrup for 6 to 8 minutes, or until thick. Strain and set aside.
5. In a small bowl, combine mascarpone and yogurt. Stir well to blend.
6. Arrange the peaches on a serving platter, cut side up. Spoon the syrup over the fruit and garnish each half with a mint leaf. Serve peaches warm or chilled, with a dollop of mascarpone-yogurt cream.