London Broil with Chive-Horseradish Cream
Mmmmm, steak. If you think the blog has been on a bit of a beef kick lately, you’re absolutely right. I’m trying my hand at cooking more meat dishes – since I’ve lately acquired a lovely meat-eating man in my life – and you’re all now stuck with it. I have yet to hear any complaints, so I’m hoping my faithful readers (hi Mum and Dad!) are still on board!
I originally intended to make this recipe with beef tenderloin – but good lord, I could buy a whole cow for what they were charging for a small steak at the market! Hello London broil, I forgot how tasty (and relatively inexpensive) you could be – welcome back to my dinner table, friend :)
I got rave reviews all around for the tenderness of the meat and the flavour of the cream, and highly recommend both with a lovely side of Red Potatoes Browned in Butter and Fresh Herbs (recipe follows) and a glass (or two) of full-bodied Cabernet Sauvignon. Yum!
LONDON BROIL WITH CHIVE-HORSERADISH CREAM
1 (2-pound) flank steak, fat trimmed
2 tbsp garlic-infused extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
3/4 tsp kosher salt
2/3 cup light sour cream
3 tbsp creamy horseradish
2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1. Remove steak from refrigerator and allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. After time as elapsed, preheat broiler. Rub each side of steak with 1 tablespoon garlic-infused olive oil and sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper. Place steak atop a broiling pan and under pre-heated broiler.
3. Broil for 20 minutes (10 minutes on each side) until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the steak registers 130 degrees (for medium-rare). Remove from heat and allow to stand for 10 minutes prior to slicing. Slice vertically across the grain to produce the thin, tender slices for which the classic London broil is known.
4. While steak is broiling, combine cream ingredients in a non-metallic dish; stir well. Serve with sliced steak.
RED POTATOES BROWNED IN BUTTER WITH FRESH HERBS
20 small red potatoes, washed
3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp Lowry’s seasoning salt
1. Place potatoes on a microwave-safe plate and microwave for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove and allow to cool for 10 minutes. After time has elapsed, halve and quarter; set aside.
2. Melt butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and fry for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and toss with fresh herbs and seasoning salt. Serve hot.