Waffles Bananas Foster
WAFFLES BANANAS FOSTER
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp caster sugar
2 fresh eggs, separated
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 3/4 cups warm 2% milk
4 tbsp unsalted butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp banana liqueur (or fresh orange juice)
4 under-ripe bananas, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 cup dark rum
1 tsp finely grated fresh orange zest
TO MAKE WAFFLES:
1. Pre-heat waffle iron to desired temperature.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
3. Separate the eggs, adding yolks to the dry ingredients and placing whites in a small mixing bowl. Using an electric hand mixer, whip whites until moderately stiff; set aside.
4. Add milk and melted butter to dry ingredients and egg yolks; stir to blend thoroughly. Gently fold in stiffened egg whites until fully incorporated.
5. Ladle mixture onto hot waffle iron and bake.
TO MAKE BANANAS FOSTER:
1. Melt butter in a 10-inch heavy skillet over low heat. Add brown sugar and cinnamon and stir until sugar dissolves. Add banana liqueur (or orange juice) and bring sauce to a simmer.
2. Add bananas to skillet and cook for one minute on each side, carefully spooning sauce over bananas as they are cooking. Remove bananas from pan and spoon over baked waffles.
3. Bring sauce to a simmer and carefully add the rum. If the sauce is very hot, the alcohol will flame on its own. If not, using stick flame, carefully ignite and continue cooking until flame dies out, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. If sauce is too thin, cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes until it is syrupy in consistency. Add orange zest and stir to combine.
4. Pour sauce over bananas and waffles. Serve with spiced vanilla whipped cream, if desired.