Turkish-Style Poached Eggs with Yogurt + Chili Butter
Anyone reading this blog that knows me personally will also know that I’m a wee bit of a globetrotter. I’ve had the great fortune to visit 23 countries on 5 continents over the past four years, and in doing so have had some truly phenomenal food! I’ve slowly been putting together a collection of recipes from some of my favourite locales, and have finally found enough free time in the midst of my studies to share some of them here!
The following recipe was inspired by a recent birthday holiday in Istanbul. The food and people were both fantastic, and I highly recommend a visit to the city’s colourful and vibrant Mısır Çarşısı (Spice Bazaar). These poached eggs and yogurt were quick and simple, and delicious with a drizzle of chili butter, fresh mint leaves and warmed pita or sourdough toasts. A perfect breakfast to conjure memories of an amazing Turkish holiday – or to inspire one of your own!
TURKISH-STYLE POACHED EGGS WITH YOGURT + CHILI BUTTER
Inspiration: Delicious, April 2012
Splash of white wine vinegar
12 medium free-range eggs
Grated zest + juice of 1 fresh lemon
Freshly ground white pepper
800 grams high-quality Greek yogurt
75 grams butter
1/2 tsp ground chili powder
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
Small bunch fresh mint leaves
Toasted sourdough bread slices or mini pitas, to serve
1. Bring a large pan of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add a splash of vinegar and lower heat to a simmer.
2. Gently break an egg into a teacup. Swirl the simmering water with a spoon and gently slide the egg into the center. Add two additional eggs, one at a time, in the same manner, and cook for 3 minutes. Remove each egg from the water with a slotted spoon and set aside on kitchen paper to drain. Repeat process with the remaining eggs.
3. Meanwhile, stir the lemon zest, a squeeze of lemon juice, freshly ground white pepper and a pinch of sea salt into the yogurt. Divide yogurt mixture equally among six bowls.
4. In a separate pan, melt the butter over medium heat with chili powder and paprika. Allow to bubble for 1 to 2 minutes or until the butter browns slightly, then remove from heat.
5. Carefully place two poached eggs onto the yogurt in the center of each bowl. Generously drizzle some hot chili butter over each egg, scatter with sea salt and several fresh mint leaves (chopped if desired). Serve with slices of toasted sourdough or warmed mini pitas.
Per serving: 359 calories, 30.6 grams fat (17.3 grams saturated), 15.4 grams protein, 6.2 grams carbohydrates (5.8 grams sugars), 0.6 grams salt, no fiber.