Toasted Almond Brittle
My mum and I made this SUPER easy recipe for brittle (courtesy of Cooking Light magazine) last weekend. Holy cow – AMAZING!! The crunchy sweetness of this almond version beats the peanut variety any day. Low fat, low calorie AND ready in under 45 minutes? Yes please!!
Enjoy, and buon appetito!
TOASTED ALMOND BRITTLE
Serves: 12 to 14
1 cup finely granulated sugar
1/2 cup lightly-colored corn syrup
3/4 cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1. Line a jelly-roll pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Combine sugar and syrup in a 2-quart microwave bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes (sugar mixture will appear clear and bubbly).
3. Stir in almonds. Microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes or until mixture is a light caramel color, stirring every minute.
4. Stir in butter, vanilla and salt. Microwave on HIGH for 1 1/2 minutes or until mixture is the color of peanut butter. Add baking soda and stir until the mixture is foamy.
5. Quickly pour mixture onto prepared pan. Spread to 1/4-inch thickness and let stand for 30 minutes. Break brittle into pieces to serve.
Per serving: 142 calories, 4 grams fat (0.8 grams saturated), 1.3 grams protein, 27.3 grams carbohydrates, 0.8 grams fiber, 2 mg cholesterol, 0.2 mg iron, 136 mg sodium.